I always said I would have a blog to publish my experiences with treadle sewing machines and quilting. Today was suddenly the day, out of nowhere I decided to set up a blog. Before I knew it I was searching for a blog name to enter on the page and into my head came "Tropical Treadles". I collect treadles and live in a tropical area, so the name somehow slipped onto the page and there it was. I shall attempt to post a photo of my very prize Bebarfald Bluebird, as she came to me last year, on day one, She is prettier now and I find her a very accurate piecer. I shall give her history later because if I succeed at posting this photo I will need a coffee to recover.
I had started this quilt some time back. When I started this blog in fact, because a part of it appeared further down the page in my first writings here.
It had then hit the UFO stash, which seems to grow biggger by the year. At the rate I am travelling the cats are going to have to leave home to make room for the quilts instead of just sleeping on them as they do.
Today I 'found' the quilt,and started embellishing it again. Twenty years on a potter's wheel in my previous creative life have left me with hands that refuse to sew the kind of embroidery that I see other crazy quilters achieving. All those colonial knots send my hands stiff when I wake up the next morning.
So being a lover of machines I realised I would have to use them as cleverly as I could to make my quilts heavy with stitch and glow like the inside of an Aladdin's Cave. So I fancy stitch with them, create machine embroidery with them
and enrich my fabric as best I can. Block one appea...
Comments
Post a Comment